10 years ago (1999-2000)
University of Samford (Stanford)
Larry and Serge
- Increasing the quality of results
- Simple Interface (Has followed the history of Google products)
- Over 1 billion searches a day
- Highly distributed – Over 50% of queries do not come from the US
- Customers expect response time of ¼ of a second. (2.5x the speed of a blink)
- Queries Change Quickly. 20% of queries change every 90 days
- The amount of data being updated on the web was significant. 10-20% of content changes every time they complete a query. Caching not as beneficial.
Index every 4 hours of the data stored. Data is about the size of the Library of Congress
- Google Calendar alone – Over 1 million emails and SMS a day
70% of emails are spam. Less than 1% SPAM makes it into inbox
- Scalability and Reliability – Because they had no money and therefore had to use cheap components that failed often, they had to build fault-tolerance and HA in the infrastructure.
- Power-Consumption – Cut down on power consumption with regards to load-balancing
- Google is the leader of scalable infrastructure.
- Among the largest – 10% of all processing power that exists in the world.
- Employees can spend 20% of their time on anything that aligns with the strategies of the company.
- New ideas, features, etc.
- Gmail, Docs, Flight Simulator, Internal systems (Google News)
- All new releases are initially used internally and provide feedback
- Employees can focus on core development and don’t have to worry about every aspect (HA, backup, recovery, etc.)
Very Complex Hardware solution with software on top that masks the complexity of the HW.
- Big Tables
- Map Reduce
- Big Tables
- All apps were not designed to go into the Enterprise market
Beginning of 2007
- Google realized that they apps were running their company internally and therefore could be useful to other companies.
- They had the capacity to support other Enterprises
- “Most innovation that happens in the world happens in the consumer space.”
- November 2019
- April 2019
- May 2015
- March 2015
- October 2012
- June 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- May 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- June 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- June 2008